Energy is a key factor in the growth of countries and their development. Yet, the world is now facing a need to re-assess its approach to derive energy due to effects that the large energy consumption is having on the environment.
Energy sources are multiple and involve different disciplines for their use and operation. The 2 year joint Master’s degree program in Energy Systems is proposed to address the existing strength of KU in engineering disciplines, the academic and research excellence of IIT-M, and the need for component human resources in Nepal and the South Asia region.
The program aims to provide students with the basic skill sets that spread across the multiple domains of energy, as its core content. Electives offer a way to specialise in certain aspects as well. The Project aims to provide the student with a working experience in their chosen field in an interdisciplinary manner.
The program is intended to produce graduates who are ready to hit the ground running in industry, as well as foster new knowledge and evolve leadership in research and entrepreneurship by arming them with up-to-date and fundamental understanding of real-life applications by integrating various engineering disciplines.
It is expected that the student after graduation would be capable of tackling the issues in this highly interdisciplinary field in industry or in academic research. The program also provides exciting possibilities to explore the option of further studies as an excellent fit for application-oriented product development. Furthermore, depending on the path the students build for themselves, they are expected to be placed in most of the highly ranked private and public sector companies. The students could pursue a career in the R&D group and/or Analysis and Design groups of these industries.
The program will integrate expertise from both institutions in the Departments of Aeronautical, Applied Mechanics, Chemical, Civil, Electrical, Mechanical, Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, Ocean Engineering, along with the Departments of Chemistry, Physics, Humanities and Social Sciences, to enable a grasp of the multidimensional aspect of energy, technology and society.
Degree: M-Tech in Energy Systems
Awarded by: Kathmandu University and IIT Madras
Duration: 2 years
- International candidates who have qualified for the award of the Bachelor's degree with 50% marks or 2.0 CGPA or equivalent are eligible to apply for admission to the program. Please note that you are required to have 4 years of UG in any allied discipline to be eligible for this program.
- Candidates should have competence in English.
- Only Foreign Students (Non-Indians) are eligible to apply for this program.
- Candidates are expected to have strong academic performance in their Under-Graduate programs.
Documents Required with the Application
- Academic Transcripts and degree certificates
- Proof of English language competence (either a certificate from the institute that mentions medium of instruction during undergraduate studies was English or an IELTS/TOEFL certificate)
- Two recommendation letters
- Copy of passport
- Statement of Purpose
- Curriculum vitae
Sessions and Mobility
Session start: 26 July 2022
Registration, Transcript and Degree certificate
- Students will be registered at both partners
- The transcript will have logos and seal from both intuitions.
- Special convocation will be held in Nepal with designated representation from IIT Madras at the end of the program, for awarding of degree
Project and Thesis evaluation
- Project will have credits and will be graded
- Continuous evaluation by the supervisors
- Committee with supervisors and thematic experts from both institutions will make the final evaluation maintaining standard calendar
We invite you to fill this application form.
Tuition Fees: NRs. 4,30,000 (approx) excluding travel and living expenses.
Living costs at KU: NRs. 12,000 per month (approx)
Living costs at IITM: INR 15,000 per month (approx)
Applications are open until 7th July 2022. If shortlisted, you may expect to attend the online interview in the second/ third week of July 2022. The final selections will be announced by the third/ fourth week of July 2022. The session will begin on July 26 2022.