The Institute strongly believes that talent and good ideas can come from anywhere and has a remarkably diverse community, drawing students from across all Indian states and from various countries. Intensely curious and driven to explore, the student community of IIT Madras value rigorous analytical thinking, ingenuity, hands-on problem solving, and big new ideas.
The departments and centres of the Institute are responsible for the academic activities which include Teaching, Research and Industrial Consultancy.
The courses of study are organized as semester programs and each semester provides for a minimum of seventy instructional days. The medium of instruction is English. Students are evaluated on a continuous basis throughout the semester. Evaluation is done by the faculty, a consequence of the autonomous status granted to the Institute.
Research work is evaluated on the basis of the review thesis by peer examiners both from within the country and abroad.
– Facilitating collaborations aimed at providing cutting edge research solutions to international challenges
– Enabling faculty and student exchanges where research interests converge
– Delivering multiple co-funded international mobility programs with partner universities
– Putting together rich, meaningful & exciting online programs
– Extension of faculty and student visits during the semester
– Having virtual faculty on roll at both partner institutes
– Expanding IITM faculty externships
– Encouraging, sustaining and developing meaningful partnerships with reputed institutions across the globe
– Delivering better visibility for research efforts
– Working as a team with partners to solve more ambitious problem statements
– Providing innovatively taught courses to students in dual formats
– Developing a joint targeted masters program with institutes of global standing
– Delivering online classes with our partner universities
– Leveraging existing programs
– Introducing Click and Mortar programs with short physical contact durations which include exams
– Enabling joint project guidance
– Increasing the joint programs on offer for post graduate students
– Offering exciting opportunities for exchange programs at the UG level
– Providing internships through exclusive programs like GRIESHMA
– Arming students with the benefits of a culturally diverse experience which empowers them to transcend social and economic boundaries and truly become a world citizen
– Organising high quality and high impact conferences that bring together the leading voices from varied fields to a diverse audience
– Delivering 12 online conferences annually
– Offering flipped conference model
– Enabling flexible keynote lectures
– Moving conference formats to one of an extended discussion session with a maximum time limit
– Streamlining conference organisation and assisting faculty in organising webinars, workshops, symposia, and conferences both nationally and internationally
– Making IITM known for its top-notch online conferences and will lead to capacity building for Indians and the whole world